Pizza Sauce vs Marinara Sauce?
When it comes to pizza, some people might think that there are only two kinds of sauces: marinara sauce and plain old tomato sauce. But in reality, the difference between them can be quite significant!
While both have plenty of herbs like garlic or olive oil added in addition to spices such as basil for flavor; one contains tomatoes while another doesn’t (Marinara).
The base ingredient is also different-tomato paste versus cooked fresh ones which gives off more juice when sliced into salads, but they’re not just about taste. it’s what ingredients make up each type that matters most here.
Pizza Sauce vs Marinara Sauce
What Is Pizza Sauce ?
In the late 1800s, pizza was invented as an easy meal for people who worked at harvest time. The sauce has been around since ancient times and comes from a technique called “tomato pie.”
Pizza sauce is an essential ingredient in many classic Italian dishes, such as spaghetti al Pomodoro and lasagna. It is also a key component of American-style pizza.
Pizza sauce is a red sauce made from tomatoes, garlic, and other spices. It is used as a base for Stromboli pizza or as a dipping sauce. Pizza sauce is typically made from crushed or puréed tomatoes, with added garlic and onion powder, oregano, basil, and salt.
Some pizza sauces also contain tomato paste, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
What is Marinara Sauce?
Marinara sauce is a type of tomato-based sauce that is typically used as a dipping sauce or a topping for pasta dishes. It is made with tomatoes, garlic, onions, and other herbs and spices.
Marinara sauce is usually red and has a slightly chunky texture. It can range from being sweet to tangy in taste and is typically lower in fat and calories than other types of sauces. Marinara sauce can be made fresh or store-bought and can be served either hot or cold.
The sauce dates back to Italy’s tomato first arrival in Europe in the 16th century. Its name, “Marinara,” is derived from a cook named Maria who whipped up this dish for some hungry sailors, and it has been an audience favorite ever since.
Tomatoes and garlic are the main ingredients in marinara sauce. It’s made with olive oil, salt, pepper along with other spices that give it a unique flavor.
Marinara sauce is a classic pizza sauce that is made with tomatoes, garlic, and herbs. It is simple, yet flavorful, and pairs well with all types of toppings.
Pizza Sauce vs Marinara: Difference
- The difference between marinara sauce and pizza sauce is like night vs day. The first has tomatoes, garlic, olive oil with basil whereas the other relies on tomato paste for its base; also in contrast to this dish that has oregano but no onion powder (or any spices).
- The sauce is more complex than marinara, with a slightly different flavor that’s citrusy and spicy.
- Pizza sauce is usually made with crushed tomatoes, while the marinara sauce is made with whole or diced tomatoes.
- Pizza sauce is generally thicker than marinara. This consistency comes from the addition of tomato paste, which gives it more flavor and makes up for whatever thickness you might notice in your dish when compared to other sauces on restaurant menus today.
- Pizza sauce is typically made with crushed tomatoes, which have more liquid than whole peeled ones. This means that it’s thinner and not as consistency-driven when you make the dish yourself.
- The difference between marinara sauce and pizza is like night vs day. Marinara sauce typically goes great as an appetizer or dipping choice, while Pizza’s signature ingredient status has it being used in almost every dish imaginable – including pasta dishes.
- Pizza sauce is red and has more salt than marinara. It also contains sugar, which helps cut through the strong flavors of cheese or meat on top of a pizza pie.
- For those who are looking for a traditional marinara sauce, it will have an acidic and tart flavor because there are no added seasonings. However, if you spice up your dish by adding spices such as onion powder or olives to the tomatoes in this recipe then expect more flavors that cozy up on your taste buds.
- The addition of tomato paste makes this sauce thicker and more concentrated, allowing all the flavors to stand out.
- One of the most popular pizza styles across cultures is definitely red sauce-based. However, there are other types that use white or yellow sauces instead – these have herbs and butter combined with cheese on top for extra flavor,
The Cooking Procedure
- The main difference between pizza sauce and marinara is that the former uses whole peeled tomatoes, whole garlic cloves are embedded in the canned versions of the latter. The flavor profile across both dishes also varies depending on whether they’re cooked by boiling or steaming; this means there’s no single way to make either dish.
Pizza Sauce vs Marinara: Similarities
The first thing you’ll notice if comparing these:
- Both pizza sauce and marinara are red sauces that are used to top pizzas and pasta dishes.
- Pizza sauce is usually made with tomatoes, garlic, whereas marinara sauce generally contains more herbs and spices.
- Additionally, pizza sauce is often sweeter than marinara. Finally, pizza sauce is typically used as a base for pizza, while marinara can be used for pasta dishes or as a dipping sauce.
Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference which sauce you prefer. Some people swear by the flavor of pizza sauce, while others find marinara more savory. Try both and see which you like better.
So, which sauce is right for you? It really depends on your preferences and what you are looking for in a pizza. Pizza sauce and marinara are both delicious red sauces that can be used to top pizzas and pasta dishes. If you want a classic, traditional pizza sauce, go with marinara sauce. If you are looking for something a bit sweeter or spicier, then pizza sauce may be the better choice.